1.800.THE FIRM | 1.800.843.3476
The Cochran Firm Legal Blog
With Office Locations Nationwide
Sunday, April 29, 2012
National Medical Malpractice Statistics
• 44,000 to 98,000 Americans die every year because of preventable medical errors (Institute of Medicine).
• Hundreds of thousands of people are seriously injured every year because of medical malpractice.
• Nearly 18 percent of patients in hospitals are injured at some point in their hospital stay (Harvard School of Medicine). These injuries sometimes result in wrongful death.
• About 40 wrong site, wrong side and wrong patient surgeries happen every week in the US (Joint Commission Center on Transforming Healthcare).
• Few medical malpractice victims actually file a lawsuit. Just one in eight medical errors in hospitals result in a medical malpractice claim (Harvard Medical Practice Study Group).
• One in three Americans said themselves or a family member has been injured by medical malpractice.
Preventable medical errors are not uncommon, and you have a right to file a claim if you think negligence by a medical professional caused you or a loved one's injury.
If you have been injured because of medical malpractice, please contact The Cochran Firm for a free case evaluation. We have law offices across the nation, including Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Washington D.C. and Birmingham, Alabama.
posted by Benjamin A. Irwin at 2:02 PM
Friday, April 27, 2012
What to Do if You are in a Car/Motorcycle Accident
• Get the other motorist’s information, including name, address, contact information and insurance information.
• Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses.
• Call police and ask them to file an accident report.
• Cooperate with police but do not admit or imply the auto accident was your fault.
• Do not discuss fault with the other driver. In fact, your communication with the other driver should be minimal.
• If possible, take photos of the accident scene, car or motorcycle damage, and your injuries.
• Seek medical attention, even if it seems as though you are alright.
After the accident, do not communicate with the other driver’s insurance company. The company is likely to offer you an unfair settlement or coerce you into admitting fault. Do not repair any vehicle damage until it is properly documented.
The most important thing you can do after a motorcycle accident is contact our attorneys. At The Cochran Firm, we have extensive experience representing car and motorcycle accident victims. If a negligent driver caused your injury, you deserve to pursue compensation for resulting medical bills, lost wages and associated costs.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, please contact The Cochran Firm for a free case evaluation. We have law offices nationwide, including Chicago, Atlanta, New York City, Los Angeles and Miami.
posted by Benjamin A. Irwin at 2:00 PM
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Medical Malpractice
- Defective Products
- Criminal Defense
- Social Security
- Other Practice Areas